LighthouseKeepers.com

Any news?

Posted By: mombo

Any news? - 08/28/99 04:51 AM

No postings here for a long time. Guess we're talking 2001 and majority want Michigan in the summer with a choice of hotels. Sounds fine by me, sign me up!

Mombo
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Any news? - 08/30/99 02:16 PM

Hey Mombo,
Any news on YOUR HL!
Name, location, release, signing availability, etc.
Bob
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Any news? - 08/30/99 03:04 PM

I would think Fall rather than Summer. Maybe in Sept./Oct when the room rates drop a bit (just my thought on the Season)?

Think Michigan! Think Traverse City area!

They have plenty of hotels to stay in, an airport that while not major airport is big enough for those who will need to fly, and a place that is big enough to meet and feed over 1000 Wackos at one time. As a certain person pointed out to me "I don't make the decisions, Kim does". Bill did say.... oops! I mean Mr. X did say that they were still looking at several possibilities as he was getting ready to inspect the Grand Traverse Resort as a possibility, this last July 17.

While I don't think it is necessarily the final choice, I would think it would qualify as a finalist, as it seems to meet the criteria.

http://www.gtresort.com/home.cfm

SaintWackoPaul'
Keep the Flame

Re: Any news? - 08/30/99 04:07 PM

Bob, think your post is in the wrong forum?

Paul, said summer as some want to bring the kids. Fall is certainly a fine time of year, with all that "autumn glory"!

Re: Any news? - 08/30/99 04:23 PM

Sorry, Mombo but I said Fall not Summer!

The Rose Island Reunion was set in the Fall, after the room rates drop a bit and the kids are in school. I have no personal knowledge but I suspect that this was done to discourage parents from bringing kids. There was discussion both ways (kids/no kids) after San Diego reunion. Also there could be a boat trip involved and the availability of the boat or boats would be a lot better in the Fall.

SaintWackoPaul'
Keep the Flame
Posted By: Joanne

Re: Any news? - 08/31/99 03:44 AM

I like the thought of Long Island, New York or maybe Jacksonvill, FL, in the fall or winter.

Joanne

Re: Any news? - 08/31/99 04:03 AM

"Paul, said summer" meant I said, not you said. Enough said!

I'd go anytime, except winter.

Mombo

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 08-30-99).]
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Any news? - 08/31/99 05:42 AM

They've sure got a GREAT web site. That draws me in. Traverse City is a great area! It could make a good jumping in point for those who want to pre- or post-reunion tour the Great Lakes.

Re: Any news? - 08/31/99 06:35 AM

I know an experienced 2nd bus host!

SaintWackoPaul'
Keep the Flame

Re: Any news? - 08/31/99 08:18 PM

Hey guys, I just want to be able to get two tickets to it.
Someone mentioned Long Island. Here's the best justification for LI. I'm not really interested in the Reunion being on LI with it's 18+ lighthouses, and it's proximity to Hudson River, Conn. LI Sound and NJ lighthouses. LI is my home base and I really look foward to experiencing some different lighthouses. I find myself at least every two weeks visiting at least one of the many LI lighthouses, always finding something new or a different angle for a picture.
TIC

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 08-31-99).]
Posted By: Al and Kathy

Re: Any news? - 09/09/99 04:18 PM

Have been unable to get to the Forum for a while. Traverse City is a great place for a reunion, and fall would mean cheaper rates. I'm all for it.

Kathy
Posted By: RezmanDale

Re: Any news? - 09/11/99 03:16 AM

I'm planning a trip to Mich next fall, Traverse City is on my list of stops. Would be great to include a reunion with the trip.
It does have a lot to offer and lots of lighthouses in the general vacinity.

Are there plan for another San Diego reunion anytime soon?
Dale
Posted By: jimirwin

Re: Any news? - 09/18/99 01:04 AM

WITH ALL THE LOBBYING GOING ON FOR MICHIGAN, MY GUESS WOULD BE I'LL BE IN MICHIGAN NEXT FALL..REMEMBER, HOWEVER, WITH THE CHANGING OF COLORS IN OCTOBER, IT MAY BE A BIT CROWDED. WHEREVER THE NEXT REUNION MAY BE, I WILL BE THERE..GOT TO GET MY HUGS FROM THE HL STAFF {FEMALES THAT IS} AND AFTER PROVIDENCE, I WOULDN'T MISS THE NEXT ONE. OR THE ONES AFTER.
JIM IRWIN
Posted By: jakescol

Re: Any news? - 10/05/99 02:59 AM

Attention Harbour Lights. Your assistance is greatly needed and would be appreciated if you could let us know if and when the next reunion will be held. People have to start making plans for vacations and would like to be able to fit in other lighthouse trips and conferences. Many conferences fill up as fast as the HL reunion does. We are holding off making other commitments pending the scheduling of the REUNION, need I say more. Respectfully submitted.
PS At least let us know the year.
Jake Toering

[This message has been edited by jakescol (edited 10-04-99).]
Posted By: foghornkeeper

Re: Any news? - 10/06/99 03:21 AM

I second jakescol's post. Especially about having enough time (1 1/2 to 2 years) advance notice. There are a lot of other interests that may need coordinating.

foghornkeeper
Posted By: jimirwin

Re: Any news? - 10/09/99 09:20 AM

I met with Bill Younger last month at an instore event. Since he was early, as I was,
I had the opportunity to ask some questions. One was about Traverse City MI, and the next reunion...Bad News, no one in the area can house and handle a group of our size. You know, the group would be in excess of 1100 people.Soooooo, maybe the next reunion should be a totally outdoor event the likes of Woodstock, the original..We could call it
lightstock, or woodhouse or...O well, I gues they should look for another area.

------------------
JIM "POPZ" IRWIN

Re: Any news? - 10/09/99 06:04 PM

Don't count Traverse City totally out of the picture yet. If the final decision hasn't been made it still is probably in the mix, just maybe not at the top of the list. It may have been a BY smoke screen or it could have been fact, it is very hard to separate the two with Bill at times.

I think that the 1100 figure is probably a little high, unless it is held in the Midwest. I know there were some collectors that didn't get to go to the last reunion, that really wanted to go and could go but I don't think it was hundreds, it probably under a hundred.

By the way Jim, good job today on your number of posts. You should be a Wacko in two or three days at this pace.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Re: Any news? - 10/09/99 11:58 PM

I still like the idea of Jacksonville or Orlando. No problem with space in Orlando.

Joanne

Re: Any news? - 10/10/99 05:03 AM

We can all stay with you, right, Joanne?

I.O. could put up a few in his trailer, as long as you're not too fussy,lol!
Posted By: orv

Re: Any news? - 10/17/99 12:55 AM

For those of you interested I quizzed BY today at the signing event that I attended about the next reunion, his reply "What reunion?" After a little prodding he indicated that originally the plans had been to have it in the Michigan area. In a survey taken this was the most requested spot. After checking into the availability(see Jim Irwin's post above) that doesn't seem feasible. He indicated that next the most number of people wanted it in the southeast area of the US. At first he said perhaps Savannah GA is being looked at but he is partial to having it in the Chesapeake area, somewhere around Baltimore, especially since this is where he is originally from, and there would be plenty of lighthouses to go to in this area. He did indicate that it would hopefully still be in 2001. Another BY smokescreen, perhaps, but he did seem sincere when he said there is not a large enough place in the Traverse City area.

[This message has been edited by orv (edited 10-16-99).]
Posted By: Bob Steinbrunn

Re: Any news? - 10/17/99 04:43 AM

Hey, what's wrong with Minneapolis? About 20 lighthouses are no more than 2.5 hours away, the economy is booming, hotels are a way of life, and this is convention city!

And for the significant others with their lighthouse pilot light on "low", the Mall of America has to be seen to be believed.

Over 10 HL dealers in the metro area as well.

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Any news? - 10/17/99 01:41 PM

My vote would be for the Chesapeake Bay area. I've never been there and there are certainly a lot of great LHs on the Bay.

Bob

Re: Any news? - 10/17/99 05:18 PM

I agree with you Bob!!

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame
Posted By: FrankB

Re: Any news? - 10/18/99 04:40 PM

BY indicated at the St. Charles, MO, signing that Traverse City, MI, was the front-runner.

FrankB
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Any news? - 10/19/99 03:17 AM

Traverse City in the Fall will make a spectacular Reunion site!

The hardest part for folks will be decididng whether to travel south down the eastern Superior shore to see the Sables, Grand Haven, Holland, etc., etc. or north to Mackinaw, then south down the western Huron shore to Cheyboygan, Old & New Presque Isle, Tawas, Ft Gratiot, etc. etc. Or go north over the Mighty Mac bridge up into the U.P. to see Round Island, Whitefish Point, Copper Harbor, Seul Choix, etc. etc.

So many fantastic lights in the area with great Fall colors. And lodging in upper Michigan is tres cheaper when compared to the ocean coasts.

__
/im
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Any news? - 10/20/99 06:43 AM

Quote:
travel south down the eastern Superior shore to see the Sables, Grand Haven, Holland, etc.,

May have better luck if traveling south on the western Lake Michigan shore?

Dave
Posted By: FrankB

Re: Any news? - 10/20/99 03:20 PM

"May have better luck if traveling south on the western Lake Michigan shore?"

Actually, the eastern Lake Michigan shore.

FrankB

Re: Any news? - 10/20/99 04:42 PM

How do you spell Reunion 2001?

C-H-E-S-A-P-E-A-K-E B-A-Y !!!!

This message has been brought to you from the East Coast where the temperature is in the high 40's and it's raining.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob M (edited 10-20-99).]
Posted By: Digger

Re: Any news? - 10/20/99 11:41 PM

M-I-C-H-I-G-A-N according to my spell-checker.

Re: Any news? - 10/21/99 07:12 AM

>>Actually, the eastern Lake Michigan shore.<<

Uh, er, ... yup. thanx Frank :-)

Though traveling south on the Western Lake Michigan shore probably means the Reunion will be in Door County. I'll vote for that! (but then you shore ain't in Michigan)

__
/im
Posted By: Hal Dean

Re: Any news? - 10/22/99 02:32 AM

Hey I agree with you Bob CHESAPEAKEBAY area for reunion 2001 plenty to see and do in the Baltimore and Annapolis areas. No problem with putting up 1100 collectors.
Hal

Re: Any news? - 10/22/99 04:14 AM

How 'bout I-N-D-I-A-N-A!!! We have lots of corn to visit. There's also plenty of barns that would easily hold 1,000+ wackos. Heck, there's even a couple of lighthouses. Don't forget the romantic moonlit amish buggy rides. The possibilities are endless! I think the Younger's should put Shipshewana at the top of the list.

Re: Any news? - 10/22/99 05:43 AM

And Gary at night is quite uh, interesting. :-)
Posted By: Sunshine

Re: Any news? - 10/22/99 04:27 PM

Hey Digger,

A nice side trip would be the Lighthouse in Hannibal, MO and also see the area of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.

Re: Any news? - 10/22/99 05:25 PM

I thought Savannah was also mentioned. I'd like Savannah.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-22-99).]
Posted By: JeffB

Re: Any news? - 10/25/99 03:34 AM

Until now, I never really had a preference, but Joanne piqued my interest! Savannah sounds great! It's such a pretty city. And it's also only an hour or so from Morris Island!
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Any news? - 10/25/99 06:44 AM

I don't think Savannah could meet some key criteria - including a venue where 1000 people could sit down for a dinner.

Back down the Atlantic Coast to Jacksonville or up the coast - way up to Baltimore see like better prospects if the Southeast is to get the nod.

Re: Any news? - 10/25/99 02:38 PM

I agree with you JC, I like Jacksonville or Baltimore. Baltimore probably offers more LHs(quantity) on north and south tours than Jacksonville but ... either one is a great choice!

Re: Any news? - 10/26/99 05:29 AM

I like the Jacksonville idea. A couple of real nice lights nearby, especially if tours to the closed St Johns river and Amilia Island lighthouses could be arranged. Amilia is very difficult to see with all of the trees around. I we could get on the ground with a drawing for several to be able to climb. That would be great!

With St. Augustine and St Simon's not far away there could be some good tours before and after. Jacksonville could certainly handle a group this size.

Dale

Re: Any news? - 10/26/99 02:04 PM

Think Michigan!
Think Traverse City!

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Re: Any news? - 10/26/99 02:22 PM

Paul, I'll follow you anywhere!

Bob
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Any news? - 10/28/99 07:15 AM

yeah, what Paul said!

Dave

Re: Any news? - 10/28/99 08:59 AM

Florida or Michigan, they're both a long way from Arizona. I haven't been to Michigan yet. Could the facilities in Traverse City handle 1000 or more wackos for a reunion?
I always willing totry something new.

Re: Any news? - 10/29/99 02:01 AM

Dale, don't forget Ponce Inlet. It's not that far from St. Augustine.

JACKSONVILLE!

Joanne

Re: Any news? - 11/03/99 08:09 PM

Your right Joanne, Ponce is a good one. Very nice restoration. They have done an excellent job with all of the buildings and grounds. Best I've seen yet. Great display of Lenses, including the huge 1st order Cape Canaveral lens. An aboslute must see if your in that next of the woods.
Dale
Posted By: Deb Weissler

Re: Any news? - 11/05/99 03:40 PM

Yes, Savannah is a terrific city but lodging and prices are VERY expensive. Vacationed there this past Spring and a 2 night stay in a historic B&B was $500 +. Most restaurants are small and quaint - not for large parties. Ofcourse Tybee Is. is a short jump onto the barrier island, with St. Simons and St. Augustine an hour to the south and Morris Is an hour north.
But all in all, the Chesapeake Bay area offers better accomodations for large groups with DC, Annapolis & Baltimore close by. Naurally I admit I'm partial living here on the Mobjack Bay that feeds into the mighty BAY. It's beautiful here in late September (when we are not having a hurricane!) through late October - forget the summer - hot & humid!
I vote CHESAPEAKE!

Re: Any news? - 11/06/99 12:46 AM

C'mon all you Wolverines! Don't give up without a fight. Do whatever it takes and let HL's know that the next reunion just has to be in...........
MICHIGAN!!!

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 11-05-99).]
Posted By: Jazzer

Re: Any news? - 11/07/99 06:14 AM

I agree with BobM

C H E S A P E A K E O R B U S T ! ! !

Lonnie

Re: Any news? - 11/07/99 06:32 AM

Today, Bill stated that the response to their survey of where the collectors wanted the next reunion was 85% Great Lakes and the biggest % was for holding it in Michigan. So far, however, they have had no luck finding a place large enough to hold 1,000 collectors for a sit-down meal. He also said that, at this time, the Chesapeake area seems to be the leading site for a reunion in 2001. Fellow Midwesterners, we have to either find a room for 1,000 to have a sit-down dinner or get out our maps for the Chesapeake. Having just gone to the Chesapeake this summer, I can safely say it will be a Great place for the second reunion-- major airport, big hotels and lots of great lighthousing on water as well as land.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame
Posted By: jakescol

Re: Any news? - 11/08/99 04:35 AM

It seems that we could stay in different hotels in the area and have the reunion and a sit down dinner in a large reception hall of some sort. What about a large tent, we did that before and it was great.

Jake Toering
Posted By: JJ

Re: Any news? - 11/08/99 05:17 AM

Because this thread has hit the magic number of 50, I will lock it and open a new one.
Jim
Johnson
© 2024 Collector Forums