Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2002 Little Lights #96972 12/21/01 07:37 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
You can view the 22 newest Little Light of Mine on this page Included are 9 lighthouses that are new for Harbour Lights.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 12-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 12-21-2001).]

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96973 12/21/01 07:49 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Lots of neat new Little Lights, a bunch of which have not been made as LE's. Maybe we will get to see a LE of Old & New Preque Isle in the near future. Maybe this will be a Great Lakes ? Michigan kind of year! 14' Bank is really pretty cool looking.

Dave

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96974 12/21/01 08:54 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
That's great they made Charlevoix South Pier and Grand Island Harbor Rear Range. I wish they would make more of these lesser range and pierhead lights in limited edition versions, especially matching front and rear range lights like Panama's set. The Keweenaw Waterway upper and lower lights on the shipping canal in the UP would make an unique set, so would Bailey's Harbor front and rear range lights in Door County.

I agree Dave on your wish for limited Old & New Presque Isle. Always hoped they would do both in a matched number set.

We now have 2 sizes of Craighill. Will the limited edition be following soon?

Nice set of releases.
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-21-2001).]

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96975 12/21/01 09:00 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Like the Point Bonita and the partial bridge. I hope they include the entire bridge on the LE, when it comes!

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96976 12/21/01 09:40 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, they now have put out St. John's River Light, FL (Mayport, FL) and Erie Land Light (Erie, PA) as LLOM. When are they going to put out the limited editions? I've been hoping and asking for these two lights for over 3 years now. I hope they don't leave it hanging as LLOM and not considering LE lights.

Rich

Rich
Re: 2002 Little Lights #96977 12/21/01 11:33 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Does Lajument seem to be a strange pick to anybody besides me? Vacation momento? I remember walking into a Dealer in Monterey, CA in 1999 that had Lajument Lighthouses stacked to the ceiling. They probably still have a few.

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96978 12/22/01 01:07 AM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
They look really great, hopefully a few will make it to Limited Editions

Jim
Re: 2002 Little Lights #96979 12/22/01 02:19 AM
RezmanDale Offline
I agree with Sean on Point Bonita. They need to include all of the bridge in the LE but I think they need to include the tunnel
as well.

They all look great.

Dale.

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96980 12/22/01 03:10 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Some very interesting lights in this new group. Chances are some will probably not become limiteds no matter how much some of us would like them to be due to the risk of poor sales. While some may appear to be "strange picks" we have to remember that these are supposedly "giftware" and are sold in "giftshops" as well as collectible stores so the market is different.

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96981 12/22/01 11:57 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Lajument, strange pick, gift shop? What's the market for Lajument in a little light in the U.S.? If it wasn't for a poster even most of us Lighthouse Officianado's (sp?) probably wouldn't have even been aware of it. No problem here with any of them. Lajument just strikes me as an unusual pick.

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96982 12/22/01 01:31 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sean,

I think you've hit on the very reason.

That poster is known to amy who are not Lightouse Wackos. It was probably thought it would be something to get those who might not be interested in the line to become interested.

Just a thought.

Dennis

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96983 12/22/01 07:44 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I can't take all the excitement! First, it was the 2002 new releases and now the first wave of LLs for 2002.... Woooo Going to be a busy year again!

Must get the 14' Foot Bank, DE, Craighill Lower range, MD, and Drum Point, MD. Some great new pieces that we never seen before too.

Merry Christmas to us!! More new HLs!

Christopher

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: 2002 Little Lights #96984 12/26/01 01:32 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bah humbug to these nice new lights (including yet another never-made-before CA light that should be a LE first) being re-created as "giftware"...what a disappointment...

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96985 12/26/01 03:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Better be careful or the spirit of Lighthouse Past will be visiting you. !!

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96986 12/26/01 08:02 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well come get me, Spirit of LH Past, and bring back Canadian charm, blue and green water, smaller LE's & event pieces, and a sledgehammer for the profusion of LLOM's and GLOW's...

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96987 12/26/01 08:27 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
You forgot your lump of coal....

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: 2002 Little Lights #96988 12/27/01 12:43 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thank you yet again, Mr. Brady...I can always count on you to remind me that my nose is never brown enough for these forums...

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96989 12/27/01 02:16 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I sure hope you didn't hurt the wall when you got out of the wrong side of your bed...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: 2002 Little Lights #96990 12/28/01 12:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like someone is headed for Santa's naughty list for next year.

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96991 12/28/01 03:13 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Gotta admit it is, uh, er, different to hear a request for an HL model to become an LE.

I'm with you Rock. We just have to face it - HL's business plan embraces Collectibles and Commoditibles. Its those pesky Glows (a commoditible in collectible's clothing, the Uruk-Hai of the lighthouse model taxonomy) that are the real problem. ;->

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96992 12/28/01 12:13 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, I must chime in on this discussion also. I've said it once (to BY and did he get mad) and I'll say it again "GLOWS are like Beanie Babies, there are so many of them everywhere." They will never go up in
value and now here comes the LLOM line. I know that HLs has to make money but they were making money with the LEs and with the following they had and now these GLOWs and LLOM are taking away from the mystique of the LEs. Why would someone desire and plot for a LE Coquille when they can spend $60.00 for a GLOW? BAH Humbug, away with GLOWS, LLOM and even Beanie Babies.

Rich

Rich
Re: 2002 Little Lights #96993 12/28/01 01:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If harbour Lights depended on sales from LEs only, they would not be in business for long. First of all the more popular lighthouses have already been produced and as the less popular ones come out the market gets smaller. There are only a hand full of collectors (not many) who buy them all. The rest of the edition size sits on shelves and in warehouses for months not to mention the ones that retired early because they were not selling. Also have you noticed how many dealers are discounting the LEs?(Quite a few) Dealers want a product that they can move and many collectors want a product they can both afford and display.(not storing them in boxes because they have no room to put them out or waiting until the market goes up so they can sell at a profit). So you see there are many (not a few) collectors who like GLOWS and LLOM because these two lines of product meet their collecting desires.

The Lightkeeper
Mike

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96994 12/28/01 06:02 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Mike,
Don't think that I am against other people collecting LLOM or GLOWS. My problem is with Harbour Lights and their new techniques for making money. HL started with a collectible line of LE lighthouses. They listened to their collectors and that's what made them the #1 dealer in lighthouses. They have not been listening to their collectors for the past 3-4 years and have been doing what they want even though their loyal collectors have been keeping up with all the new limited editions. They are continuing to FLOOD the market with GLOWS and LLOM. At least the GLOWS have all been produced as LE, but, the LLOM are just taking over the market and are a lot of the time new pieces that have not been produced as LE. That is my biggest complaint, bring a LE out first and then if you must, bring out a LLOM. No wonder the dealers are leaning towards GLOWS and LLOM, they have less then 1/2 the investement in GLOWS as an outlay of cash and probably less then $5-$10 outlay in a LLOM. Less outlay of cash and same percentage of return for a profit will make a dealer do exactly what they are doing and that is getting rid of the LE line. Everybody that is complaining about their dealers going out of business have HL money making business prowness to thank for it. If I were a dealer I sure know which way I would head. Eventually, if things don't change, HL will be heading the way of other companies (Lefton, Spencer Collin) and not have a core following or Secondary Market value.

Don't get me wrong, I will continue to buy all their LE as long as I can find room for them or run out of money, but, I will not buy a GLOW or LLOM because I feel that these are going to be the downfall of the HL Line and I will not contribute to that end. Now to each his own on what they want to buy, but, I for one would much rather spend $300 for a retired LE and enjoy looking at it then buy six GLOWS and say I have all the Harbour Lights Lighthouses.

Rich

[This message has been edited by flacoastie (edited 12-28-2001).]

Rich
Re: 2002 Little Lights #96995 12/28/01 07:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rich

"That is my biggest complaint, bring a LE out first and then if you must, bring out a LLOM"
I agree 100 per cent !!!

But

"They have not been listening to their collectors for the past 3-4 years and have been doing what they want even though their loyal collectors have been keeping up with all the new limited editions. They are continuing to FLOOD the market with GLOWS and LLOM. "

I don't have a problem with what you said, but you and the few others who feel that way are a minority among collectors in the Harbour Lights market and we all know that it is all about money.
How many people do you think want a LE of Point Bonita? I don't believe that it has ever been mentioned on the Forums until last week, except when Bill Harnsberger mentioned in his review of Sherwood Point back in September that the 1855 First fog signal on west coast---a cannon was installed at Point Bonita Light, CA.
I think we should be a little less critical of Harbour Lights and buy and enjoy the ones we like and be happy that they are producing a quality product that keeps getting better.

Mike

[This message has been edited by TheLightkeeper (edited 12-28-2001).]

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96996 12/28/01 08:21 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Mike and all the Others whose feeling I may have hurt,

I am just an old retired Coastie that has mind setting opinions and a commitment to collecting LE only. I started in late 1994 and made a commitment to get them all or die trying and still am holding to that commitment. Sorry if I said anything to offend anybody. And yes, I would take any LE(Point Bonita) over a GLOW, but I would prefer a Mayport FL over anything.

Rich

Rich
Re: 2002 Little Lights #96997 12/28/01 08:28 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
They have not been listening to their collectors for the past 3-4 years...

I'd say that's exactly what they have been doing since at least for the last 3 years.

Smaller edition sizes
Lower LE prices
'Seasonal' lighthouses
Fewer LEs each year

How haven't they been listening? Can you cite an example or two?

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96998 12/28/01 09:06 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
I agreee JC, HL *has* done a good job of listening to the Collector portion of their customer base. You are right to point this out and they should be applauded for listening well. I suspect flacoastie is just venting a bit of the frustration that I've heard other long time collectors express.

The Little Lights are a fine addition to their line for lots of reasons. But I doubt I'll ever change my view about Glows. :-) The Glows are just too close in size, price, and quality to the Limited Editions - and there is more than a few folks (some dealers included) who think the Glows have hurt the Collectible aspect. (And I do disagree with the notion that without Glows the company would not be in business for long. Glows do not subsidize the Limited Editions.) Most of the dealers in my area have reduced or stopped carrying Glows.

The LE edition sizes probably had to come down anyway from 10,000 - as a function of demand and as witnessed by early retirements. While I have not been one to complain about prices (even advocating a willingness to pay higher prices for LEs) there is probably a price point in the marketplace that volume sales require. The $70-$80 range seems to be what the market will bear over time.

The introduction of timed releases is another example of their listening. And the special event and rep event pieces are tailored for Collectors. New ideas such as the nascently magnificent Fresnel line is a gamble, but I think it is also in response to customer input. People wanted lights in their lenses and lighted lenses we got! Of course Customer service remains excellent.

And to you Rich - your views are very welcome - just cause someone disagrees, don't feel there's any disrespect. We have these kinda 'discussions' all the time. They're healthy and they draw out other folk's opinions, generate interest, and help the forums stay active. So keep 'em coming!

Rgds and HNY to all,
__
/im

Re: 2002 Little Lights #96999 12/28/01 10:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rich
My feelings are not hurt. The nice thing about these forums is we can all express how we feel about what is going on in the world of Harbour Lights and the lighthouse community at large. We can agree or disagree but we all are entitled to our opinions and we all should respect the opinions of others even when we do disagree. I am not offended when someone disagrees with me, but I am eternally grateful that not only in these forums but in this great country that I live in, that I can express my thoughts and opinions freely and without censor.
My hats off to you Rich and Rock and John and Paul and Tim and all the others who contribute to these forums because it is people like you that makes these forums enjoyable and it is people like you that make this such a great country to live in.

Keep the lights shining !!!
Mike

Re: 2002 Little Lights #97000 12/29/01 12:12 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Great that no one took what I was saying the wrong way. I have read enough on these forums to pretty much figure that out with the older members. I just wanted to make sure that the newer members did not take what I was saying the wrong way. Ok, as Sir Lancelot or one of those guys used to say, "I'll be back to fight another day on the GLOWS". I added a little to that saying but you know what I mean.

Rich

Rich
Re: 2002 Little Lights #97001 12/29/01 04:56 AM
RezmanDale Offline
Wow, you go out of town for a day or two and you miss a lot.

It is frustraitng to see a Lighthouse that you realy want to see Harbour Lights do come out as a LLOM first. Point Vicente, Point Reyes, East Brothers Island and Point Bonita.They shoudl all be LE's.

With the huge number of people that visit Point Reyes and Point Bonita you would think that there would be a market at least for these to be LEs. But when you see how poorly the west coast lights have sold, I can understand HL testing the waters with the LLOM's.

I can see both sides of the never ending debate on the Glow's and now the LLOM's, but for someone like me that has a very limited amount cash available to buy LE's it is not realistic for me to even consider buying all of the LE's each year. (even though I would very much like to have them all).

The LLOM's give my kids an affordable birthday, fathersday, Christmas gift. The Glows give me the chance to have quality Harbour Lights replica of some to the lights that I have visited but will never be able to find the LE at an affordable price. My goal in collecting is to have an LE of every lighthouse I visit. But St. Augustine, St. Simons, Ponce, Key West, Hatteras, Etc are just too expensive.

At least I can have the best quality lighthouse replica available to take the place of those retired and not affordable LE.s at least until I win the lottery or a rich uncle puts me in his will.

It is indeed great to be able to voice your opinions here and I know that there are a number of my Forum friends that would say that it is collectors like me that are willing to settle for a glow that hurt the true collector's If I was fortunate enough to know about Harbour Lights back when they started I probably would be singing another tune.. Harbour Lights has done a great job as far as I'm concerned. I love the products, and I love their quality and attention to detail even in the LLOMs.

Dale

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, RickJax), 1,509 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users