Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13728 05/28/02 10:13 PM
lmyhre Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
In the current issue of "The Keeper's Log", the official magazine of the United States Lighthouse Society, President Wayne Wheeler writes an editorial which is very critical of The Lighthouse Preservation Society. He claims that they take credit for a number of lighthouse projects and preservation efforts which they are not actually involved in. He states "Clearly, LPS is a sham and should not be supported nor encouraged."

Has anyone here on the forums had any experience with this organization? Is Waynes critiscm warranted? I recently saw an ad from them inviting people to join their society. It would be good to know if they are really a "sham" before deciding to join.

Larry

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13729 05/28/02 10:30 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here is a link to informnation about the Lighthouse Preservation Society.

http://www.maine.com/lights/lps.htm

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 05-28-2002).]

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13730 05/29/02 12:49 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's another link:
http://www.mayday.com/lps/index.htm

If you click on "saving and preserving" and scroll down a bit you will find a list of "accomplishments". It would be interesting to know which items are disputed.

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13731 05/29/02 10:26 AM
DMancini Offline
If you read their "accomplishments" the language they use is pretty vague--"initiated", "proposed", "persuaded". Not that those things aren't important, but you don't get much of a feel for the actual work they do. They say they've raised "millions of dollars" in public funds and have been the "catalyst" for preservation of lighthouses "up and down the nation's coasts." If that is true, then how come no one I know has ever had any interaction with them? They've never contacted us at the Long Island Chapter of the USLHS. The language is so vague on the website, I have to admit it makes me wonder.

Frankly, I don't know enough about this organization to agree or disagree with Wayne. If you know Wayne at all, he can be quite outspoken--not that that's a bad thing.

------------------
Diane

Diane
Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13732 05/29/02 10:51 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was a member for a few years back in the early 90's and to be honest, I don't have any idea of what they accomplished or their goals! Just recently they sent me some information on joining back up! I declined. I heard from a very reliable source (Harbour Lights dealer) that the guy that ran this society was mostly interested in traveling to lighthouses to get pictures for his own personal use! It makes me wonder!

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13733 05/29/02 12:32 PM
Shirin Offline
At least you got a response from them Randy. I've tried to call and write for more information but I've never heard anything. Looks like I haven't missed out on much.

shirin

Shirin
Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13734 05/29/02 09:34 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
If you are really curious as to their validity, you might check to see if they are required to file an IRS Form 990 each year. If they are, they have to provide you a copy on request (as I recall). Non-profits do have to file informational returns with the IRS and usually with the state in which they are incorporated.

Dave

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13735 05/30/02 01:40 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I haven't seen anything on The Lighthouse Preservation Society.

But what about American Lighthouse Foundation? I've seen this on the website for Lighthouse Depot store. Is this a genuine preservation effort group?

Also, where can I subscribe to The Keepers Log?

Melody
Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13736 05/30/02 02:12 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Others will chime in here about the American Lighthouse Foundation, but I'll say my 2 cents worth: it is headed by Tim Harrison, a co-owner of Lighthouse Depot.

It is a legitimate and dedicated non-profit that is really helping lighthouses.

The Keepers Log is the magazine for members of the US Lighthouse Society, another non-profit helping lighthouses. It is headed by Wayne Wheeler.

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13737 05/30/02 09:12 PM
lmyhre Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
As John said, The Keepers Log comes with a membership in the United States Lighthouse Society. They can be contacted at:

244 Kearny St.
San Francisco, CA 94108

I don't believe they have a website, but I could be wrong about that. I think it is a worthwhile organization and The Keepers Log is a very interesting magazine for lighthouse enthusiasts.

Larry

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13738 05/30/02 09:30 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I second John's statment on ALF.

They have done quite a bit for Lighthouses in Maine and elsewhere. NELL is now a part of ALF.

Tim Harrison and Bill Younger have a lot in common- they head companies that while they are in business to make money they never forget the things they make money off of- the Lighthouses that got their customers interested in their product (or vice-versa).

You can see a list of bonafide specific projests that ALF has worked on, not nebulous claims of this and that.

Tim Harrison will answer your questions personally- it might take some time as he has so many hats on, but he does not shrink from questions.

He gives a great presentation also- he was at a NJLHS meeting earlier this year.

ALF is definitely worth supporting IMHO.

As for the Lighthouse Preservation society I have chosen not to contribute to it. Read that as you may.

Dennis

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13739 05/31/02 01:59 AM
RFoster Offline
I just wish to point out that American Lighthouse Foundation (ALF) is a non-profit organization which, as many here have said, has helped save our lighthouses and continues to:

1. Educate people about the plight of our lighthouses.
2. Raise funds for the restoration and preservation of our lighthouses, lightships and maritime history.
3. Foster a "hands on" approach to saving many lighthouses.

Lighthouse Depot is a for profit business which is in no way part of ALF (nor ALF part of the Depot). It just so happens that Tim Harrison wears two hats, and I must add wears them very well.

I am proud to be a member of New England Lighthouse Lovers (NELL) a Chapter of American Lighthouse Foundation, a member of United States Lighthouse Society (both CA & the Long Island Chapter), and other lighthouse organizations. I believe in the cause and the people of these organizations.

I do NOT belong to The Lighthouse Preservation Society. That's not to say that someday I wouldn't join. It is saying that I do not know enough about them to make a well-informed decision about their mission and membership.

"Keeping The Flame Alive in New England"

Ron
(CT Keeper)

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 05-31-2002).]

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13740 05/31/02 02:27 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ron,

Sorry. I reread my post and I realized I did not make it clear that the business that Tim Harrison is involved in (Lighthouse Digest / Lighthouse Depot)is totally seperate from his work with the non-profit organisation Americnan Lighthouse Society.

I was making a point, but did not make it clear enough.

Dennis

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13741 05/31/02 03:46 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13742 06/01/02 02:49 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Tim,
Thanks for the link to the US Lighthouse Society information page. This page provided alot of great information about the Society, their goals, accomplishments, info on the Keeper's Log, and how to join if interested including the membership fees.

MelJB

Melody
Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13743 06/01/02 03:15 PM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
One of the fun things that the USLS offers is their passport program. It's a lot of fun to try and collect the different stamps from the lighthouses that participate. Its always fun at Mukilteo Light Station when we get someone in with a passport to be stamped. Since I also have a lighthouse passport, which is always with me, we always compare stamps. Great conversation about our lighthouse visits is always an added bonus. Once your passport is full, you can send it in and get a patch. Happy Lighthousing all.

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13744 06/01/02 04:29 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
What's nice about the Passport also, is the fact that the Lighthouse does not actually have to participate.

They accept any kind of stamp from a non-participating Lighthouse or even a picture that you took or from a brochure, etc.

It' a total honor system type thing.

The other nice thing about it is that they request that you donate at least $1 for every Lighthouse you get a stamp from (or make your own).

A win win situation.

Dennis

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13745 07/23/04 02:16 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm resurfacing this one because I was at my bank today to order some lighthouse checks for use on the LighthouseStickers.com account.

I noticed that in the literature for the various kinds of checks offered by Clarke-American (a large check printer), they say that purchase of their lighthouse checks helps support the "Lighthouse Preservation Society".

I recalled we'd had a discussion about this group a few years back and here it is.

I tried the toll free number today - it rang, but reached a message system, not a person. Wonder what's going on with this organization? Anyone know of any later news?

The information on the maine.com site is notoriously old. The Selkirk Lighthouse page (Jim Walker operates this lighthouse and the maine.com site) was last updated in 1997.

Before I purchase checks, I want to make sure that if they are donating something, it's going to a good organization.

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13746 07/26/04 12:11 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Can't give you any info on the checks but certainly want to put in a good word for the lighthouse stickers and journals. As members of the USLHS, we agree that the stamp deal is a good one but unfortunately we saw a lot of lights before we learned about the stamp program. Now we love the lighthouse stickers and the journals and are going that route instead for all our trips and to keep track of the lights and lightships we have seen. It costs but now we have great records so it is worth it to us!! Judy

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13747 08/02/04 07:00 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John - If I were you and I was looking for some lighthouse checks I would check out the checks being offered by Bev Schreiber as she definitely contributes to the American Lighthouse Foundation for each check order received. I verified this with TIm and Kathy.

I haven't heard anyone with anything good to say about the LPS so I wouldn't be in a hurry to make any contributions to them.

Best,
Paul

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13748 08/02/04 09:24 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I read somewhere a couple months ago about some LPS scandal. Seems that the only thing they really do is serve $600 dinners for 2 at the top of the Newburyport RR Light.

I would go with the ALF checks instead. We know its a good organization, we know that they do a great amount of good, and we know they need help. I've seen results from the ALF...the LPS I cannot say the same for.

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13749 08/03/04 06:05 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
PFC, I am also looking to re-fill my checks. How can I get in touch w/Bev Schreiber? May as well order from someone who contributes to a "known" good cause/organization! Thanks!!
Rick

Re: The Lighthouse Preservation Society #13750 08/03/04 09:05 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
smile Hi Rick - To order lighthouse checks from Bev Schreiber just click on the following link!

http://www.bevstudio.com/bank_checks.htm

All my best,
Paul Conlin
Secretary,
ALF

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 830 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users