Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouse Waterfowl #96097 03/07/99 02:02 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
This is a subject that interests me greatly. Preservation of waterfowl in this nation. What flies where and is it in danger of dying off.

Anyone want to talk about this subjetc.

Bob "also Moby"

Moby
Re: Lighthouse Waterfowl #96098 03/07/99 07:49 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I know many golfers in this area would like to see the Canada Goose fly off and never return. I kind of like having them around but they are "fowling", or should I say fouling, the water supplies of several communities.

I don't hunt and I don't eat duck so the feathered friends are safe around my area.

^^^ ^^^ (Don't forget to duck!)

Re: Lighthouse Waterfowl #96099 03/07/99 08:28 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Several of the old-timers here abouts know that my wife and I enjoy not only lighthouse looking, but bird watching. In fact, although I've recently uncovered some evidence that indicates my interest in lighthouses is a latent thing, it was seeing the lighthouse at Cape May, NJ during our birding trips that was the trigger for our collection of Harbour Lights.

I've found a great way to combine the two hobbies. I collect Duck Stamp Prints. Several states (CT, GA, ME, MS, NC, NJ, SC, and VA) and the federal program have issued their duck stamps with lighthouses in the background. The stamps feature ducks of course, but a few of the lights are very prominent in the picture.

For instance, the 1996/1997 Federal Duck Stamp features surf scoters in flight with the Baregat, NJ lighthouse in the background. NC did a series of seven stamps from 1989 to 1995. All of the lights except Price's Creek are shown.

The proceeds from the sale of the duck stamps themselves goes to support, maintain and enlarge the National Wildlife Refuges around the country. Try this url for more information:

http://www.fws.gov/r9dso/

Rick

PS - I'm looking for the 1995 Mississippi print, showing Biloxi lighthouse in the background. Any one from Mississippi have a source?

Re: Lighthouse Waterfowl #96100 07/10/99 03:29 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Bringing this topic back to life, one to thank LamarB for tracking down a 1995 Mississippi Duck Stamp Print for me. And two to let people know that I have leads for several of the North Carolina Lighthouse Series Duck Stamp Prints. The leads include the first in the series, 1989, Cape Hatteras and Snow Geese.

Granted, the birds are much more prominent than the lighthouses, but remember, the ducks came first, then the lighthouses .

I have several of these prints framed and together with the HL display they give a real coastal feeling to my home office.

If you're interested, send me an email at the address in my profile.

Thanks,
Rick

Moderated by  Bob Ott 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,327 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users