LighthouseKeepers.com

Lighthouse Cruises

Posted By: AZpharologist

Lighthouse Cruises - 07/28/08 04:57 AM

A point of observation, I noticed lighthouse cruises seem to be either in New England or Maryland /Delaware. It seems to me San Francisco bay would be a great place for a cruise and even the Seattle area. Art confused
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Lighthouse Cruises - 07/28/08 02:30 PM

Strangely enough, I don't think there are enough close by lights in Seattle to make a lighthouse cruise practical. And, there are not a lot of suitable boats for the purpose other than commercial ferry boats.

In SF, the Bay cruises will show you many of the lights - Alcatraz, Fort Point, Lime Point, distant views of Point Diablo, Point Bonita and Mile Rocks.
Posted By: AZpharologist

Re: Lighthouse Cruises - 07/28/08 03:40 PM

Dave, I do not know about the availablity of boats in Seattle, but a google search showed me there are 13 lighthouses in Puget Sound. In the Seattle area here are a few: Alki Point, West Point, Point No Point, Mukilteo and Admiraltry Head. You left out two feature lights San Fransico Bay: Brothers and Yerba Buena. Art smile
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Lighthouse Cruises - 07/28/08 05:31 PM

July 4, 2004 Oakland Regional Cruise, got the t-shirt..

Harbor Cruise
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Lighthouse Cruises - 07/28/08 06:45 PM

If you will look at maps of the area you want lighthouse cruises to you will note how impractical they would be. East Brother is 20+ miles north of the SF waterfront. YB is on the way to Oakland - people want to see SF from the water, not Oakland. You might be able to catch a view from the SF-Oakland ferry.

There are lots of lights around Puget Sound. However, it is probably better than 50 - 60 miles long. Look at a map of the area and where the lights are located. Only ones in Seattle metro are Alki Point and West Point. One about 5 miles south, the other 5 or more miles north. There is a sightseeing cruise that passes West Point on its way to Lake Union. Unless you are using a hydrofoil or hovercraft capable of 40-50 knots a cruise would not be very practical. However, the Washington Lightkeepers Association does do periodic cruises to some of the outlying lights that one must see from the water.
© 2024 Collector Forums