Print Thread
New models look gerrrrrr-ate! #12875 07/04/98 02:16 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Considerable chittering in the Rosemont thread on the relative appeal of the new releases for the second-half of '98. This evening I picked up both Sturgeon Bay and Grand Haven from my regular dealer.

I don't know if what folks saw at Rosemont were prototypes, or APs, or standard issue LEs, but the two models I got this evening are outstanding! Both show continuing development of the same metal tech used to create the Sanibel porch railings and, imo, both advance the HL state of the art to a new level of refinement. This is more sophisticated than the wire construction of Thomas Point and NPL.

The Sturgeon Bay 'canal rocket' is incredibly true to life. For those unfamiliar with the light, the water on house side is the canal, on the light side is Lake Michigan. The canal connects the waters of Green Bay with Lake Michigan so ships aren't forced to sail around the Door Peninsula through the trecherous 'port du mortes'.

For the length of Grand Haven, I found it surprisingly light in weight. From the pictues I thought it might be a tad short, but model in hand I now think its at the goldilocks length.

If someone aimed an oar at my head and forced me to criticize the pieces I'd say if anything the precision of the metal work makes the cast buildings seem a bit less 'crisp'. Nonetheless, if you're not yet committed (or over-committed as with some of us ) to collecting every LE and choose to buy selectively, you'll definitely choose to put both Sturgeon Bay and Grand Haven on your Want List.

Imo, these are the HL SOTA pieces for '98.

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: New models look gerrrrrr-ate! #12876 07/04/98 02:41 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Sturgeon Bay Canal and Grand Haven are doing well out of the chutes. Both are over half ordered (not shipped, yet, but ordered.)

The longest available lighthouses currently out there are Round Island and Wind Point. Round Island might win the race to retire first - but still 1,700+ to go. Wind Point has about 2,000 to sell yet.

Beavertail and Sandy Point also have about 2,000 to sell before retiring.

Re: New models look gerrrrrr-ate! #12877 07/04/98 11:58 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree with Tim. Sturgeon Bay would have to be on any HL collectors must have list. After getting mine (and studying it in great detail) I must say it is fantastic.

Although my Grand Haven has not arrived yet, if it is half as good as Sturgeon Bay, it would be well worth the purchase.

Re: New models look gerrrrrr-ate! #12878 07/11/98 07:28 PM
D
Deb Weissler Offline
D
For once I am disappointed in a HL limited edition (and one I have been waiting for a long time) and that one's Bass Harbor! As many times as I have visted that lighthouse and photographed it from all angles possible, the most dramatic view is from the rocks below with just the light tower and house tucked in beside it. I guess I was expecting HL to perch 'Bass Harbor' up on a rock foundation similiar to Split Rock OE, depicting its dramatic spot up on the rocks. The HL versions with multiple buildings and spacious lawn is nice, but this is not the Bass Harbor view that I treasure most.

Re: New models look gerrrrrr-ate! #12879 07/12/98 02:02 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Ditto Debbie - my thoughts exactly

Re: New models look gerrrrrr-ate! #12880 07/12/98 04:34 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
One word for you, Deb...

CORRECT-O-MUNDO!

When I saw Bass Harbor last fall in the new HL calendar, I couldn't believe that HL had missed the most popular "angle" of this great lighthouse. I mean, let's face it---Bass Harbor Light is nothing great in and of itself...it's pretty plain. But you look at it from the rocks below, and the effect is stunning.

Harbour Lights needed to consult more picture postcards, calendars, and lighthouse books before they made this piece. While they have done brilliant work with most of their pieces, they failed to capture the soul of this one. What a disappointment.

Did I buy it? Of course.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, RickJax), 1,509 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users