Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bob M's dad has passed away.. #202155 04/08/11 12:41 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I thought I would share this with everybody who visits the Forums, you can't have read the Forums and not known Bob McKeon or Bob M as he goes by in the Forums..

NORTH ATTLEBORO - James Joseph McKeon, 94, of Woodchip Square, North Attleboro, died on Wednesday, April 6, 2011, at Sturdy Memorial Hospital following a brief illness. He was the beloved husband of Gertrude "Trudy" M. (Stone) McKeon to whom he was married on March 13, 1981, and was the husband of the late Yvonne (Babineau) McKeon.

Born in Lisburn, County Antrim, Ireland, on Feb. 2, 1917, he was a son of the late William James and Jane (Thompson) McKeon. Upon immigrating to the United States with his parents and sister at the age of 3, he settled in North Attleboro with his family. He remained a proud "townie" for more than 90 years.

Mr. McKeon was a 1935 graduate of North Attleboro High School.

Living in Attleboro Falls in his youth, he often recounted stories of his early years with great fondness and detail.

Following high school, Mr. McKeon worked for the Town of North Attleboro prior to enlisting in the U.S. Navy and serving with the Seabees in the Philippine Islands from July 30, 1943, until his honorable discharge in December 1945.

Upon his return from World War II, Mr. McKeon was employed by the former Walsh & Babineau Construction Co. While in the construction business years ago, Mr. McKeon donated much of time off as a bulldozer operator during the construction of the National Shrine of Our Lady of LaSalette in Attleboro.

In 1954, he returned to work for the Town of North Attleboro as the superintendent of streets and served in that capacity for decades until his retirement in December 1978.

He was a lifelong communicant of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church in North Attleboro.

Proud of his military service, he was a member and former vice commander of the former AmVets Post in North Attleboro.

He was a life member of the Knights of Columbus #303, North Attleboro.

Mr. McKeon loved North Attleboro and enjoyed reminiscing of years past and the changes he observed during nine decades.

Traveling, especially cruises, and dining out were among his favorite pastimes and he was an ardent sports fan with a special love for the Boston Red Sox and was an original season ticket holder of the then Boston Patriots.

In addition to his wife of 30 years, he leaves a son, Robert J. McKeon and his wife, Lorna M. (Myers) McKeon, of North Attleboro; a daughter, Sandra A. Gorman and her husband, Phillip Gorman, of Bradenton, Fla.; a stepdaughter, Brenda Grahn and her husband, William Grahn, of South Attleboro; four grandchildren, Kevin J. McKeon and his wife, Shannon (Carroll) McKeon, of North Attleboro; Stephanie Gorman of Scottsdale, Ariz., Sean R. McKeon and his wife, Michelle (Vandette) McKeon, of North Attleboro and Jeffrey Provost and his wife, Kristen (Fisher) Provost, of Marlboro; eight great-grandchildren; a sister, Martha Henault of Attleboro, and several nieces, nephews, extended family members and friends.

He was the brother of the late William McKeon and Kathleen Poirier.

Private visitation with veteran's honors will be held in the "memorial chapel" of the Dyer-Lake Funeral Home - the national historic Col. Obed Robinson Home, 161 Commonwealth Ave., (exit 5 off I-95 north or south, go right at end of ramp, 3/4 mile on left,) Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.

A private funeral service with veteran's honors will be held in the "memorial chapel" of the Dyer-Lake Funeral Home, the national historic Col. Obed Robinson Home, 161 Commonwealth Ave., (exit 5 off I-95 north or south, go right at end of ramp, 3/4 mile on left,) Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.

Private burial with military honors will follow in St. Mary's Cemetery, Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.

Do not send flowers. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations in Mr. McKeon's name may be made to the North Attleboro Animal Shelter, 43 South Washington St., North Attleboro, MA 02760.

For additional information or to send to family a written expression of sympathy, please visit an online guest book located on the Internet at www.dyer-lakefuneralhome.com.

Arrangements are entrusted to the Dyer-Lake Funeral Home, 161 Commonwealth Ave., Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro. 508-695-0200.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202156 04/08/11 01:07 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm very sorry to hear that Bob's dad has passed.

Sounds like he lead a good full life and had lots of family to share it with.

Deb and I will keep him and his family in our prayers as he assends to Heaven.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202157 04/08/11 01:12 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,

Sincerest condolences go to you and your family. Based on the info above, it appears you dad lived a rich full life. May you find comfort in fond memories and knowing your friends are thinking of you.

Melody
Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202159 04/08/11 01:30 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob --

My prayers are with you and Lorna and your extended family in the time of loss of the true patriarch of the McKeon family.

Count your blessings. He lived a long life, served his country, his church, his community and his family with honor and distinction. God has welcomed him into a better place with no pain or suffering.

The tears will turn to laughter. No doubt Dad is already sharing the memories he loved so much with the kin who passed before him through those pearly gates of Heaven.

Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202175 04/08/11 06:22 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob, our thoughts and prayers are with during this hard time.

I know you'll be celebrating his long & impressive life but I know it's especially hard to lose your Dad.

-Bob & MaryAnn

Last edited by rscroope; 04/08/11 06:45 PM.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202179 04/08/11 09:43 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
So sorry Bob.

Laura
Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202193 04/09/11 08:05 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Lorna and your family at this time of loss.

Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202195 04/09/11 09:53 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Many thanks to all of you for your concern and expressions of sympathy upon the death of My Dad, James J. McKeon. He lived a long life and a good life. He was so fortunate to not be confined to a nursing home for an extended period of time. He enjoyed his long life and will be truly missed by our family.

Bob

Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202201 04/10/11 10:23 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
It is a lonely feeling when your parents pass away, as I lost my Mother in in 1972, and my Father in 1996. I was also an only child so the pain of my Father's death left me feeling even more alone. My wife and kids helped me through that time and you have your family to lean on also. Amy and I will be praying for you and your family during this time.

Rich
Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202227 04/11/11 09:15 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, our heartfelt sympathies to you and Lorna.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202229 04/11/11 11:34 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Our condolences to you and your family Bob.

Mike

Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202294 04/13/11 08:16 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
On behalf of our family, thank you to all for your expressions of sympathy over the loss of our Dad.

Bob

Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202414 04/18/11 09:20 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing Bob. And thank you to Paul for posting the story of his life. It sure was interesting, a truly remarkable man.

Re: Bob M's dad has passed away.. [Re: WackoPaul] #202416 04/19/11 08:27 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks, Sue. The family has been receiving so many cards and expressions of sympathy. Dad was a remarkable man who lived a great life of 94 years. His passing will leave a major gap in our everyday lives. It is comforting to know that he was so fortunate to have his mind, his appetite, and wasn't confined to a medical facility for a long period of time.

Bob

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,854 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users