Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
South Bass Island Photo #42940 08/05/99 10:26 PM
J
Joanne Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Saint John, I cannot view the photo of the Southa Bass Island on the website. It just says loading images. What can I do to fix this?

Joanne

Re: South Bass Island Photo #42941 08/06/99 12:31 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Activate Java.

Need to know what kind of OS (Windows 95, 98, Mac) you use and what browser and version you use (Netscape 5.6, MSIE 4.0). We can get you going. It's well worth the effort to see Rod's shimmering photo.

Re: South Bass Island Photo #42942 08/06/99 03:24 AM
S
sCalBG Offline
S
Kudos to John and to Rod. The 'reflecting pool' image is not only eye-catching, it shows what creative folks are contributing to these sites!

[This message has been edited by sCalBG (edited 08-06-99).]

Bill
@ @
.<.
_U_
Re: South Bass Island Photo #42943 08/09/99 12:16 PM
Jake Offline
John, I have the same problem with the pic. I have Windows 95 and AOL 4.0.

Thanks for the help.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: South Bass Island Photo #42944 08/09/99 02:56 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Windows 95 & AOL 4.0

If you are subscriber to AOL you are probably using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your browser. That's what AOL provides. However, it's a special edition.

I found in comparing the AOL version and a 'regular' Internet Explorer like 4.0 (now 5.0) the colors in the AOL version look TERRIBLE. Especially photos look like someone spilled water on them and the colors ran.

I'd recommend you download MSIE for free. Then sign onto AOL as usual and then OPEN the browser you downloaded.

To turn on JAVA with AOL's browser, first click on "MY AOL", choose Preferences, then choose "Internet". You should have a control panel with tabs at the top. Go through each of those and look for a box to click to 'ENABLE JAVA' or words to that effect. Save and Exit.

For MSIE 4 or 5 version, choose Tools, Internet Options, then click on the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down to "Java VM". Leave the first box unchecked and check the last two of the three boxes.

You should now be able to see Rod's shimmering water photo. You may need to exit your browser and restart it.

John

Re: South Bass Island Photo #42945 08/09/99 06:02 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Dittos to John's comments about downloading and using IE 4.0 or 5.0. I would highly recommend it for all AOL'ers.

Since I have been playing with my website, I have tried to view newer pages on the site regularly using Netscape, Internet Explorer, & AOL's browser, and with various font sizes and monitor settings, etc. to see the differences in layouts and colors. Viewing the same pages with all the various settings really show off the differences quite dramatically. It's quite amazing how different some pages appear, and AOL's browser is definately the worst of the lot.

The thing I like the most with IE 5.0 is the capability of quickly setting the window to "full screen" with a single click of a button. It removes the bottom bar, and reduces the top bar to just a 1/4" high single row of small icons with no words. This increases the viewable screen size quite abit. A single click brings them all back again, if you need them for some reason. I also set the Windows '95 bottom taskbar to "auto hide", which increases the viewable screen another 1/4" or so in height.

With all the gigantic buttons and large bars on the AOL browser, it makes the viewable screen so much smaller in comparison, and the need to "scroll" that much more. Also consider the font size you have set on your browser. The larger the font, the more you will probably need to scroll. I don't see any reason to set it any higher than "medium" sized. All IMHO of course, take it with a grain of salt.

Rod Watson

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,319 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users